Practically Speaking About Cloud Computing:
Software Testing with Clouds.
In the conventional system of load testing that we use, we need to invest heavily in creating the required hardware and software IT infrastructure; costing heavy upfront capital expenditure and time required to build the machine infra structure. Sometimes it so happens that, organizations could not come up with the required resources in time and carry out the test. In today’s economic scenario with enormous financial pressure on businesses on the one side and rapidly evolving market scenario wherein applications has to be released early and in quick time on the other side, it is quite natural that disruptive thinking is applied to traditional software testing.
Cloud computing can come in handy, in this situation, and highly appealing to counter the lack of time, machine and money resources. The required machinery-IaaS-Infrastructure as a Service can be availed from outside the service provider, at affordable ‘pay as you go’ costing, with massively scalable capacity of computing resources like CPU time, RAM, bandwidth and storage, on demand basis.
In fact, cloud computing evangelists contemplate testing as one of the top five use cases of cloud computing. Web applications vary in nature and each one has its unique functionality. For load testing, ‘one size fits all’ solution cannot be applied. Creating a right kind of test environment- ‘test rig’, performing the test with diligence by making right test cases, apt scripting assertions, trying out various possibilities as resource combinations, analyzing the results with the performance accepted criteria and above all, being agile with development community in interpreting the test results.
- It is possible to bring a test environment using cloud computing infrastructure.
- Using that infra structure, it is possible to do performance testing like load testing, stress testing etc.,
- The results are comparable to the physically created environment testing.
- Economics: As per one of the paper submitted in Structure 2009, Cost analysis of cloud testing will include four different type of costs as Infrastructure Cost, Software Licensing Costs, Engineering Resources Cost and Recurring cost of testing
- Limitation: The cloud computing gear provided is based on server virtualization and elasticity. To get meaningful- reliable results through this machinery, multi tenancy model should be kept under check.
By Malick/ CloudTweaks.com
Latest posts by cloudtweaks (see all)
- Cloud Infographic: Data Protection For The Edge - August 22, 2014
- Future Tech – Wearables And The Smartphone - August 22, 2014
- Veda Partners With IBM And Prepares For Next Phase Of Growth - August 21, 2014