VANCOUVER, BC–(Marketwire – December 2, 2010) – ActiveState, the dynamic language expert offering solutions for Perl, Python, and Tcl, today announced it is delivering ActiveState’s market leading ActivePython Community and Business Editions as part of a pre-built Python-centric Amazon Machine Image (AMI) for the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2). This enterprise-ready AMI provides a full LAMP stack, including Ubuntu’s Linux operating system, Apache Web Server and MySQL plus Python packages critical to developing and deploying cloud applications quickly and securely. It is aimed directly at providing an easy on-ramp to Amazon EC2 for Python development.
This new AMI from ActiveState featuring ActivePython Business Edition provides access to Python database packages for Postgres, Oracle, SQLite and MS SQL in the Amazon EC2 environment. It also provides key cryptography packages (M2Crypto) for security and critical Python packages for financial and scientific computing (Numpy, Scipy) applications. The ActivePython AMI enables companies to get their own private, secure AMI complete with scripts to easily deploy more stacks as their deployments grow. ActiveState has built and tested all components of the stack ensuring seamless integration.
“We’re excited to become an Amazon Solutions Provider providing the first ActiveState-supported, tested, private, and secure Python-centric AMI to the market. It enables faster development and deployment of cloud-based applications and saves development time with a ready-to-run, trusted ActivePython stack,” said Diane Mueller, Director, Enterprise Product Management at ActiveState. “Enterprises can go to market faster and more securely with all the components and packages needed to enable enterprise-grade security and database connectivity.”
AMI with ActivePython includes:
- Linux: Basic 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 AMI 1.0
- Available for Amazon’s t1.micro, m1.large, m1.xlarge, m2.2xlarge, m2.4xlarge, and c1.xlarge instance sizes
- MySQL (5.1) alternate database
- SQLite3 alternate database
- Apache (2.2.16) default webserver
- modwsgI_apache (3.3.7)
- Gunicorn alternate webserver
- ActivePython 2.6.6 Community Edition, which includes Python packages:
- Customizable AMI build scripts to quickly deploy multiple AMI instances
- MySQL_python (1.2.3)
- Django 1.2.3
- Memcached (TBD)
- Nginx (0.8.53),
- virtualenv (1.5.1) and virtualenvwrapper
- Fabric (0.9.2)
- runit 2.0.0
- ActivePython 2.6.6 Business Edition preview (locked) which includes:
- License to deploy cloud applications to users external to your company
- Installation, usage, configuration, and diagnosis support for ActivePython components
- Python packages for: Postgres (psycopg2), Oracle (cx_Oracle), ODBC (pyodbc), Microsoft SQL Server (pymssql)
- Security cryptography Python package: M2Crypto
- Financial and scientific computing Python packages: Numpy, Scipy, matplotlib
ActivePython AMI also includes:
- Sample Django web application
- Links to PyPM Index to find required Python packages easily
- Tutorials and documentation to learn how to develop and deploy quickly
AMI with ActivePython Business Edition is $999/server/year and is available immediately. To find out more see: http://aws.amazon.com/amis/0504835354415205
AMI with ActivePython Community Edition is free if using cloud applications for internal company use.
ActiveState is the world leader in enabling companies to develop, manage, and distribute applications with dynamic languages. The company’s products and services for Perl, Python, Tcl and other web languages, are used by over 2 million developers and 97% of the Fortune 1000 to build and run applications from mission-critical to open source projects. ActiveState’s end-to-end solutions include development tools, language distributions, indemnification, OEM solutions, support and other services. With these, customers such as Cisco, CA, HP, Bank of America, Siemens, and Lockheed Martin are able to accelerate productivity, minimize risk, and ensure compliance. Find out more at www.ActiveState.com
Catchup on trending stories related to Cloud Computing, Wearable Technology, Internet of Things, Virtual Reality and much more from some of the top information sources.
If your publication would like to submit a feed for consideration, please contact us for more information.
Latest posts by CloudBuzz (see all)
- Are Tech Stocks On The Rebound? - August 26, 2015
- Open Ethernet Gains Industry Momentum With Large Eco-System Demonstration Including Microsoft And Dell - August 19, 2015
- 10 Potentially Obsolete Security Technologies - August 17, 2015