Amazon Cloud Drive Windows Integration
Amazon Cloud Drive is secure and reliable cloud storage from the same company that created Amazon S3, which hosts over 262 Billion objects. Amazon Cloud Drive used from Windows Explorer as a local drive with a drive letter is even cooler.
This article shows how to integrate Amazon Cloud Drive into Windows as a mapped network drive letter to support the BASIC cloud storage use cases:
- Backup local folders and files to Amazon Cloud Drive
- Access Amazon Cloud Drive with a drive letter and drag/drop capability.
- Sync folders and files across multiple PC, leveraging Amazon Cloud Drive
- Integrate local applications such as MS Office with Amazon Cloud Drive
- Connect local resources with online resources such as the Amazon Cloud Drive.
Install Gladinet Cloud Desktop and Mount Amazon Cloud Drive
The First step is to install Gladinet Cloud Desktop, which continues to support a wide variety of online storage services such as those from Microsoft, Google, Rackspace and Amazon.
Support for Amazon Cloud Drive has been added in the latest version of Gladinet Cloud Desktop. After installing version 3.2.607 or greater, the mounting virtual directory wizard will display a drop down item for Amazon Cloud Drive.
In the next dialog screen, you will enter the Amazon credentials to connect to the Amazon Cloud Drive.
After configuration, you can access your Amazon Cloud Drive with a drive letter in Windows Explorer.
It is a mapped network drive, so you can access it directly from local applications such as Microsoft Office applications.
System Tray Menu
You can get to the main user interface of Gladinet Cloud Desktop from the system tray menu. At the top of the systray menu, you have direct access to the drive. In the middle of the menu, there is the entry for the management console.
In the management console, you can see 3 main functionalities: Cloud Storage Drive, Cloud Backup and Cloud Sync Folder.
Cloud Storage Drive – If you have multiple Amazon Cloud Drive accounts, you can mount them one by one into Windows Explorer as virtual folders.
Cloud Backup – You can create mirrored backups (mirror a local folder to Amazon Cloud Drive) or snapshot backups.
Cloud Sync Folder – You can use Amazon Cloud Drive as a conduit and repository for PC-2-PC folder synchronization.
By Jerry Huang / CEO of Gladinet.com
Latest posts by CloudTweaks (see all)
- Thinking About Doing Business In China? Consider This… - April 17, 2015
- Cloud Infographic – Path Of A Cyber Attacker - April 15, 2015
- Cloud Infographic – Enterprise Mobility Trends - April 14, 2015