SMBs Using Cloud Storage Also High On Network-Attached Storage
More than seven in ten small and medium-size businesses that use cloud-based storage solutions also use networked-attached storage (NAS), according to a newly released survey by research firm In-Stat.
This report comes close at the heels of an IBM report that said sixty percent of organizations will embrace cloud computing over the next five years. This finding was based on a survey of more than 3,000 global Chief Information Officers.
For those unaware, network-attached storage is a specialized server that is connected to a network which provides file-based data storage services to other devices on the network. NAS systems are becoming popular for their ability to support one or more hard disk drives (HDDs). According to In-Stat, these systems sometimes boast features such as RAID (redundant array of independent disks) and back up/replication services for all the devices attached to the network.
In-Stat report titled “ Worldwide SMB Network-Attached Storage: Technology and Service Innovation Drive High Growth,” indicates that currently, SMB NAS has grabbed only a small portion of the total NAS market. However, this situation is set to change and this small portion will quickly grow to reap revenues of $2 billion by 2015.
“As the market has matured, the definition of NAS has taken on additional aspects,” said Norm Bogen, VP Research. “In particular, system management software has evolved into the most important feature of NAS adoption for several reasons, but primarily because it simplifies the user experience to set up and manage NAS products.”
Findings from IBM report discussed above are also supported by research by Easynet Global Services that show cloud hosting services will be more widely used in the coming year. A large number of companies are expected to increase their investment in the technology and according to Easynet, 49 per cent of CIOs will standardize on hosted services and other cloud applications.
By Anuradha Shukla
- The Annual Compliance & Ethics Institute: Hot Topics – Cyber Security, Big Data, Privacy Breach Response - August 30, 2016
- IBM and VMware Expand Partnership to Enable Easy Hybrid Cloud Adoption - August 29, 2016
- Cloud Security Alliance Big Data Working Group Releases ‘100 Best Practices in Big Data’ Report - August 26, 2016
- Pitney Bowes Selects Aria Systems for Billing on the New Commerce Cloud - August 23, 2016
- RTI Presents “Fog Computing Is the Future of the Industrial IoT” Complimentary Webinar - August 22, 2016