At BitNami, we’re committed to making it easy for anyone to run their favorite open source applications natively, virtually and in the cloud. We’re excited to announce that we’re making it even easier to run BitNami apps in the cloud by offering a free plan for our BitNami Cloud Hosting service!
The new free tier of service for BitNami Cloud Hosting allows you to deploy and manage your favorite open source applications on one Amazon micro instance for one year. A micro instance provides 613 MB of memory and up to 2 EC2 Compute Units. As Amazon also offers a free service tier for new users for one year, this means you can get an entire year of free cloud hosting from Amazon and BitNami!
People are always a little skeptical when they hear the word ‘free’, so here are a few questions and answers to clarify things:
- What is it that I am really getting for free?
The free plan allows you to run one micro instance on BitNami Cloud Hosting for one year. It includes one-click application deployment, automatic backup scheduling, one click server restores, monitoring and other features to make it easy to run your favorite BitNami-packaged applications in the cloud.
- How long will it be free?
BitNami Cloud Hosting’s free tier is free for one year. If you qualify for it, the free tier from Amazon is also available for one year for new customers.
- What if I don’t qualify for Amazon’s free tier?
While your micro instance won’t be free from Amazon (it will cost you around $15-$20 per month), you will still be able to use BitNami Cloud Hosting to launch and manage your applications for free.
- What if I need more than one server?
We have a variety of paid plans to meet your needs.
- What happens after my free year of service is over?
You will need to sign up for a paid plan with BitNami Cloud Hosting. Currently, the Basic plan allows you to run up to 3 small or micro instances for $24 per month.
- If I want to stop using BitNami Cloud Hosting, what will happen to my server?
If for some reason you want to stop using BitNami Cloud Hosting, but continue to run your server on Amazon, all you need to do is cancel your BitNami Cloud Hosting account. Your server and any backups that you have made will remain in your Amazon account and you can access them directly via Amazon. With BitNami, you are never locked in to using our service.
- How do I sign up?
Just complete our simple sign up form (seriously, it only asks for your name, company [not required] and email address) and you’ll be sent a link to activate your account. Note that, if you don’t already have one, you will have to sign up for an Amazon Web Services account as well. We’ll send you instructions for doing so once you sign up for BitNami Cloud Hosting.
This is a big step for us, but we’re really pumped about how easy BitNami Cloud Hosting makes it to run applications in the cloud and want to make sure it is accessible to as many people as possible.
Sign up today to take it for a spin!
- 3 Considerations To Help Businesses Navigate Cloud Implementation - February 12, 2016
- How Cloud Data Is Driving Transparency In The Channel - February 11, 2016
- Internet of Things: I Spy With My Little Eye… - February 11, 2016
- 4 Cloud Technology Trends To Look Out For - February 10, 2016
- Cloud Providers Should Welcome End Users’ Scrutiny on Security Practices - February 9, 2016