Evolution and Revolution with Cisco Data Centre Fabric
Flexibility, scalability and security are the words most used in relation to cloud computing. However, flexibility and scalability are usually mentioned as advantages and security as a possible problem, but which the cloud computing industry is managing well.
Data centers are all about scale and security, which forms the base of Cisco’s recent announcement, introducing innovative data centre fabric. The solution is presented as the most scalable and secure fabric in the industry, ready for physical, virtual and cloud environments. So what does it mean for cloud computing?
- Scalability and flexibility – the fabric is the most scalable 10 GbE L2/L3 Fabric in the Industry. Most importantly, the approach is a holistic one, the solution not being element focused, but integrating various parts of a data centre into a unified fabric, and, even more interesting, spanning between data centers. This ensures both scalability the likes of which have never been seen before, and architectural flexibility.
- Security is often mentioned as a draw back of cloud computing. With its new solution, Cisco provides a virtual firewall to help secure cloud environments, adding firewall capabilities, highly secure remote access, real-time threat defense and comprehensive network security regardless of size. I believe we need to add that the new solution is based on the long term tried and tested Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA), the industry’s most used firewall, only now in virtual form.
With Internet traffic exploding and a trend for centralized providers of computing services, the need for secure, highly scalable and flexible solutions for data centers is clear. I believe Cisco’s offering goes a long way in providing exactly what the industry needs. The new security features will hopefully convince those still wary of cloud computing that the cloud is a viable, secure alternative. Also, businesses requiring solutions on a massive scale now have the perfect offering to match their needs.
The new Cisco solution is right on trend both in answering what the industry needs but also with its unified, holistic approach. The evolution of cloud computing depends on the big players in the market providing the technological environment to enable computing services to be delivered when and as required in a secure way, and this is definitely a big step in the right direction.
We live through exciting times for technology innovation and I cannot wait to see what is coming next, not only from Cisco but from other companies as well. And one thing is clear, the bar is raised quite high and now remains to be seen who can jump.
By Rick Blaisdell
- The Internet of Everything: Why The IoT Will Take Over Every Industry - April 29, 2016
- Make Your Smart Device Even Smarter By Answering These 4 Questions - April 20, 2016
- Infographic: How Wearables Are Revolutionizing Health Care Services - April 11, 2016
- How the Internet of Things will change your life - April 7, 2016
- Mondo Report: The Top 5 Cloud Positions/Skills In Highest Demand - April 5, 2016