Survey finds Instant Messaging is the weakest link when it comes to corporate security and compliance
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – Nov. 14, 2011 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the worldwide availability of Symantec Instant Messaging Security. cloud (IMS.cloud) with support for Microsoft Lync. Symantec is one of the first SaaS vendor to support Microsoft Lync users, helping organizations that communicate using instant messaging platforms address their security and compliance issues. IMS.cloud scans messages and attachments for malware, blocks malicious URLs, protects organizations from data loss and logs messages for compliance purposes without the need for additional hardware and software.
A recent Symantec survey on corporate Instant Messaging use found that IM poses significant risk to organizations. Approximately 60 percent of respondents use IM to communicate with contacts outside the organization and 43 percent use it to share content not related to work. A further 29 percent reported using IM to send information they would not want their boss to know about.
“Instant Messaging is becoming a popular tool for internal and external communications in organizations of every size,” said Tom Powledge, vice president of Product Delivery, Symantec.cloud. “ According to Symantec Intelligence, 1 in 11.3 links sent over IM link to malicious Web sites while our Symantec Instant Messaging survey revealed that fewer than half of the organizations surveyed have suitable controls for monitoring IM. The casual nature of IM paired with a tendency to de-prioritize IM security leaves organizations susceptible to compliance breaches, data loss and malware infection. IMS.cloud takes the risk out of IM so that companies can meet user demand for the latest technology while allowing a flexible and collaborative working environment anytime from anywhere.”
IMS.cloud is designed to scan every IM sent to or coming from an organization. Incoming messages, including attachments are scanned for viruses, worms and URLs which may lead to malicious Web sites. All incoming and outgoing messages are also matched against the organization’s acceptable use policies. Any message that is malicious or suspicious or violates corporate policy is automatically blocked and the user is notified.
IM tools help companies improve productivity, be more responsive, support mobile and remote workers and gain operational efficiencies. However, opening these channels of communication to external contacts without proper security and control can expose organizations to security and legal risks.
“Instant Messaging in the workplace is becoming ubiquitous for both internal and external communications in organizations of every size,” said Chris Christiansen, vice president of Security Products and Services, IDC. “But this popularity is one reason why organizations are vulnerable to the risks that come with using desktop IM clients. Corporate IM needs the same high levels of malware protection and regulatory compliance required of email and Web services. Cloud-based security services can provide such protection.”
Key Features and Benefits of Instant Messaging Security. cloud
- Comprehensive Solution: Includes an effective content control engine, malware protection, malicious URL detection, automatic message logging and configurable disclaimers.
- Message Logging and Archiving: Meets regulatory compliance by logging message transcripts. Cloud-based archiving is available for organizations with more stringent compliance needs.
- Skeptic™ Malware Protection: Using Symantec’s proven technology, protects organizations from threats by scanning messages and file attachments.
- Cloud-based Service: No on-premise hardware and minimal software allows rapid deployment and low ongoing maintenance.
Symantec Instant Messaging Security. cloud is available now worldwide. The service can be purchased on its own or in combination with other Symantec.cloud services across email and Web and includes 24/7 support and service updates.
To sign up for a free trial, visit symanteccloud.com/freetrial
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
- 3 Considerations To Help Businesses Navigate Cloud Implementation - February 12, 2016
- How Cloud Data Is Driving Transparency In The Channel - February 11, 2016
- Internet of Things: I Spy With My Little Eye… - February 11, 2016
- 4 Cloud Technology Trends To Look Out For - February 10, 2016
- Cloud Providers Should Welcome End Users’ Scrutiny on Security Practices - February 9, 2016