Defining SaaS and Its Relevance to Education
By far, the biggest challenge of the United States’ Department of Education has something to do with the depreciation of the standard and the quality of the educational services on the country. Of course, substandard services mean substandard graduates. And, in these tough times, the country cannot afford to produce substandard graduates.
Basically, the most common action that we would expect is the training and hiring of more qualified teachers and the acquisition of more materials and facilities to bolster the ailing educational system. Of course, there is no doubt with the impact of these actions. Definitely, these will go a long way towards the improvement of the health of the country’s education.
But, it must be understood that there are other factors which are at work and which significantly influence the outcome of the educational processes. We live in an era dominated by technology, and it is but foolish not to integrate this technology into our educational institutions.
Today, cloud computing is the hottest technological trend that is being looked into by a lot of educational institutions. Basically, cloud computing is a very complex technological innovation which is actually meant to simplify things. In other words, they are intended to join a large array of systems of subsystems so that users will be able to utilize all these tools in a much less complicated manner. One specific area of cloud computing is the Software-as-a-Service or SaaS which is pretty useful in education.
What is SaaS, in the first place? Basically, SaaS is the provision by the providers of certain softwares or applications to the users. Basically, these services can be in the form of mailing services, database securing and processing, and many others.
As we have said, cloud computing in itself is actually broad. In the field of education, Software-as-a-Service is a more preferred component of the cloud computing for a variety of reasons:
- First, through SaaS cloud computing, schools will be able to minimize financial consumption. Indeed, it must be understood that running old IT facilities and strategies cost a lot in the maintenance of mainstay IT personnel. With SaaS, you can effectively drop these personnel because you will be able to access cheaper outsourced services through the SaaS global system.
- Cloud computing will actually allow you to make services more efficient because, through SaaS, the university will be able to integrate the manner through which it delivers its good to its clients. In more simple terms, SaaS empowers administrators to actually take a good look at the overall picture of the university. As such, management becomes more efficient because communication between and among branches and departments is more efficient as well.
- Of course, the most important attribute of SaaS in the field of education is the fact that it can multiply the learning potential of the students. Basically, SaaS enables learners and teachers to actually tap into the global stock of infinite information. This means that there is virtually an unlimited supply of fresh knowledge, and, most importantly, students will be able to access this information when they need to. And they do not need to pay a lot for it.
By Cenon Gaytos
- Cloud Computing and Why Educational Sectors Need to Modernize - March 8, 2012
- Education and Society: Why Both Need Technology - March 6, 2012
- What is and What Is Not SaaS - March 2, 2012
- Teachers or Computers: Discussing the Issue - March 1, 2012
- Cloud Computing and SaaS: Information Technology Evolving - February 29, 2012