2015 Advertising Opportunities - Find Out More!
Google’s Partner Program To Push Cloud Services
I have written about cloud computing companies and their partnership programs before (See: Cloud Biggies and their Partnership Programs); now, Google, one of the earliest movers to the cloud but a late starter as far as cloud partnership programs are concerned, has decided to address that gap in its portfolio.
While Google did have a program in place that allowed resellers to offer the SaaS product Google Apps, the new Google Cloud Partner Program will enable them to expand to PaaS and IaaS with the Google App Engine and Google Compute Engine respectively. Thus, with this new program introduced last month, resellers will be able to offer Google products across the cloud computing stack (See: Cloud Computing For Dummies: SaaS, PaaS, IaaS and All That Was).
According to the official blog post by Eric Morse, Head of Sales and Business Development, Google Cloud Platform, announcing the launch of the program, there will be two types of partners (content reproduced below):
Service Partners provide consulting and implementation services on various Google Cloud Platform products. You can use their knowledge and expertise to develop applications like:
- Business apps: Ci&T (http://www.ciandt.com/us-en), a global systems integrator (that) built a new quotation app on Google App Engine to help SulAmerica, one of the largest insurance providers in Brazil, provide better policy quotations to millions of their customers.
- Mobile apps: Agosto (http://www.agosto.com/), (who) built a smartphone app running on Google AppEngine to help the Minneapolis Loppet Foundation register thousands of participants in a Nordic ski event.
- Social apps: PA Consulting (http://www.paconsulting.com/) , (who) built a crowd-sourced app on Google App Engine and Google Maps for MetOffice to provide richer, up-to-date local weather forecasts around the world.
- Google Compute Engine: Compute Engine technology partners offer a rich set of management services that help you configure and manage applications running on Google’s infrastructure.Technology Partners provide tools that integrate with Google’s platform or use one of our services as a foundation for their products.
- Google BigQuery: BigQuery technology partners enable you to import data from a wide range of existing on-premise and cloud data sources into BigQuery, as well as build rich, visually interactive dashboards on top of BigQuery.
- Google Cloud Storage: Cloud Storage technology partners have integrated Google Cloud Storage directly into their offerings to provide you with active archiving, backup and recovery, and primary storage solutions.
With this development, Google takes a major step towards challenging Amazon for the top spot. It’s been only a few months since it responded aggressively to the market leader’s price cuts (See: Why Did Amazon Cut Cloud Computing Rates? Part II ), and the war for customer dollars is expected to continue.
By Sourya Biswas
Latest posts by sourya (see all)
- In A World Without Windows, Who Needs Gates? – Windows 8 Migration - August 26, 2013
- 6 Common Challenges Of Private Cloud Implementations - August 23, 2013
- The Importance Of Monitoring Your IT Ecosystem - August 14, 2013