Cloud Networking – Scaling Up, Out and In
“The Network is the Computer.”
The above statement was adopted as the company tagline by the networking giant that recently merged with Oracle. However, perhaps this phrase is truer than ever before today due to the rise of cloud computing. Indeed, the Network has assumed extraordinary importance in the Age of the Cloud.
Whatever be the functionality of the servers that power the Cloud, without a robust network they are just disparate components that can never function as one. To use an analogy, without the nervous system, the individual limbs cannot function effectively. As this paper says, “IT managers should enforce these (cloud-compatible) requirements across all major datacenter components, not just the server infrastructure. This includes building cloud-like scalability into the network itself.”
In that regard, the network is an integral and necessary part of cloud computing that deserved as much attention as other infrastructure components. Networking leader Citrix has recognized this and developed TriScale technology to specifically address the demands of cloud computing.
The paper I quoted earlier is titled A revolution in cloud networking: Citrix TriScale Technology and is available for free download to our readers. While, like many other white papers, this has a definite slant towards the sponsoring company’s product, you will still find it useful because it throws light on one side of cloud infrastructure that is usually given little attention.
Also, if the benefits it promises to deliver are true, it’s certainly worth your time to read this paper. According to the paper, “With Citrix TriScale Technology, organizations of all types, sizes, and levels of cloud maturity can:
- Scale Up – Increase network elasticity with up to 5x faster performance on-demand, without the need for additional hardware using NetScaler Pay-As-You-Grow licensing
- Scale Out – Expand capacity up to 32x further with zero downtime and no idle network resources by leveraging TriScale Clustering
- Scale In – Simplify application delivery support to more applications and business units and put an end to device sprawl by consolidating up to 40 NetScaler instances on a single hardware platform
Traditional networking solutions cannot compete with the breadth and depth of capabilities TriScale offers Citrix NetScaler customers. Fixed capacity network appliances provide zero elasticity, while expensive chassis-based solutions that require new blades every time more capacity is needed don’t deliver the flexibility and economics demanded by next-generation datacenters.”
Download to know more.
By Sourya Biswas
Latest posts by sourya (see all)
- In A World Without Windows, Who Needs Gates? – Windows 8 Migration - August 26, 2013
- 6 Common Challenges Of Private Cloud Implementations - August 23, 2013
- The Importance Of Monitoring Your IT Ecosystem - August 14, 2013