VMworld Survey: Enterprises Still Unwilling to Look Outside for Private Cloud
Attendees Also State Concerns Over Shadow IT as a Result of Public Cloud Services
SAN FRANCISCO and PASADENA, Calif. – VMworld 2013 – August 29, 2013 – 87 percent of private cloud users deploy on their own infrastructure instead of through a hosted third-party, according to a survey of VMworld 2013 attendees conducted by Metacloud, Inc., which deploys and supports private clouds for some of the world’s largest companies. Reduced cost (38 percent) tops security (34 percent) as the reason attendees gave for deploying a private cloud.
Of the 195 enterprise IT professionals polled at the VMworld Expo during August 25 – 27:
- Almost three quarters (73 percent) of respondents reported that their organization currently has a portion of their computing requirements being handled by the cloud with a majority, 48 percent, opting for private cloud over public or hybrid cloud services.
- Over half (51 percent) of respondents expect to increase their workloads running in the cloud in the next 12 months, with only 4 percent expecting to decrease their cloud use over the next year.“The survey results reaffirm what we’ve been seeing in the market, that when it comes to cloud computing, companies prefer to have complete control of their cloud, while also minimizing the costs of cloud computing,” said Sean Lynch, CEO of Metacloud. “Metacloud’s platform offers users the best of both worlds by combining the simplicity of the public cloud with the performance, security and cost advantages of the private cloud — all on a company’s existing infrastructure.”
Almost half of attendees aren’t concerned with shadow IT (47 percent). However, the vast majority (67 percent) of those who do believe shadow IT is a problem found that the easy accessibility of public cloud services has been a major driver in the growth of shadow IT at their company.
“When end users hit obstacles in gaining access to data or collaborating with coworkers, many resort to ‘non-approved’ methods to make that happen, thereby opening the enterprise up to Shadow IT issues. Carbon|OS’s tenant management system empowers end-users with access to the resources they need when they need them without the roadblock of having to request assistance from IT administrators. This greatly enhances enterprise agility and helps eliminate the key drivers of shadow IT,” said Metacloud Founder and President Steve Curry.
Delivered as a service, Metacloud’s Carbon|OS empowers businesses to scale dynamic applications quickly by combining the power of OpenStack with critical enhancements for the enterprise. Metacloud’s Carbon|OS includes 24×7 proactive support from Metacloud’s in-house cloud team to ensure maximum performance at all times. The team monitors, troubleshoots, upgrades, handles capacity planning, and performs bug fixes, enabling extraordinary service levels and helping Metacloud customers to extract maximum value from their private cloud investments.
# # #
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in Pasadena, California, Metacloud deploys and supports private cloud solutions for some of the world’s largest enterprises. The company’s full-lifecycle cloud model, consisting of OpenStack-based software deployed on their clients’ existing hardware, allows them to deliver a production-ready, easy-to-consume cloud infrastructure at a fraction of the cost of competitor solutions. Metacloud is backed by Canaan Partners, Storm Ventures, and AME Ventures and is led by industry veterans from Yahoo! and Ticketmaster. Metacloud is an OpenStack Foundation member and an active contributor to the project. For more information, visit www.metacloud.com or connect with Metacloud on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
Latest posts by CloudTweaks (see all)
- Interoperable Cloud Based Video Conferencing Platform - June 26, 2015
- Wearable Sensors Reduce Risk of Pregnancy Complications For Moms And Babies - June 24, 2015
- Accounting, The Cloud And ERP - June 23, 2015