Backing Up And Storing Your Data
When was the last time you backed up any of your precious documents on your hard drive? March 31st was the annual “World Backup Day” which helps create awareness of the importance of backing up your files. Tech professionals and consumers alike can benefit from backing up. Some choose to back up sensitive data and family photos, while others may opt to backup entire systems.
According to an infographic courtesy of CloudWards.net:
- 113 smartphones are stolen every minute of everyday
- Lost devices cost consumers 30 billion dollars every year
- 29% of all electronic losses happen by accident
- 1-in-10 PCs are currently infected with a virus
- Over 30% of people never backup
These are some eye-opening stats! It’s rather stunning knowing how much valuable data can be lost by failing to do something as simple as backing up. The infographic also states that hardware or systems malfunctions and human error are the most preventable yet leading causes of global data loss.
Additional revelations include:
- 39% of data disasters are accidents
- Hacking accounts for a whopping 67% of business data loss
- Global revenue of cloud backup services increased by +225% in 2014
- Dropbox cloud backup services increased its user base by +1100% in 2014
As you can see, making reliable backups for your files is more serious than most people think, tech professionals included. While backing up entire hard drives might seem like a daunting task, peace of mind can be as simple as a few clicks and USB flash drives away. Every day is world backup day, so the time to backup is always right now.
Do you have a story of losing valuable data because you didn’t backup? Leave your story in the comment section below!