The Big Data Movement
In recent years, Big Data and Cloud relations have been growing steadily. And while there have been many questions raised around how best to use the information being gathered, there is no question that there is a real future between the two. The growing importance of Big Data Scientists and the need for cloud connected APIs will be paramount when looking for efficient ways to securely extract the data from the various SaaS and Cloud based offerings.
An IDG Enterprise Big Data research report takes a look at an organizations’ big data initiatives, investments and strategies.
Some of the key findings include:
- Organizations are seeing exponential growth in the amount of data managed with an expected increase of 76% within the next 12-18 months.
- Companies are intensifying their efforts to derive value through big data initiatives with nearly half (49%) of respondents already implementing big data projects or in the process of doing so in the future; however, enterprise organizations are ahead of the curve in implementation plans compared to SMB organizations.
- CEOs are focused on the value of big data and are partnering with IT executives who will purchase/manage/execute on the strategies.
- Organizations are investing in developing or buying software applications, additional sever hardware, and hiring staff with analytics skills in preparation for big data initiatives.
- Organizations are facing numerous challenges with big data initiatives and limited availability of skilled employees to analyze and manage data tops the list.
- In the next 12-18 months, organizations plan to invest in skill sets necessary for big data deployments, including data scientists (27%), data architects (24%), data analysts (24%), data visualizers (23%), research analysts (21%), and business analysts (21%).
- Half of respondents indicated there is no clear thought leader in the big data solution space.
Provided is a colorful infographic created by MushroomNetworks that takes a closer look at the growing landscape of Big Data.
By Brent Anderson