Having smartphones to smarter the way we communicate or stay connected is an old fable. Technology has evolved itself impeccably and over its boulevard, it has created footprints on the health industry in form of wearable devices.
A few decades back, wearable technology started to mold not only itself but the way humans used to live.
How and when it started?
For the former question, ‘necessity is the mother of invention’, I believe is the perfect answer. Here necessity points towards the need to live a comfortable life while the invention is nothing other than our wearable devices.
Turning the pages of time and a little after juggling the nerves in my brain, I can recall the calculator watch that got released somewhere in the 1980s. I’m sure many of you might have noticed their entrance. However, things changed with time, and technology started to create new benchmarks. This is where the need to create new standards raised.
In lieu of the same, I can recall the HugShirt (release at the CyberArt festival in Bilbao, Spain in 2004).
Since then wearable technology didn’t look back. Around ten years after this, Statista published a report, which shared 75 million wearable devices got sold in 2012. If this excites you, sit back and be prepared, as the figures for the year 2015 rose in an unmatched manner and exceeded the 2 billion mark. Sounds pretty exciting, isn’t it?
Wearable devices and healthy society
Apart from contributing into travel and entertainment segment, wearable and mobile devices have commendably created their space in the world of health care. Wearable devices today have a remarkable place in the healthcare industry. They not only track your fitness but also recommend you required things and share the same with your doctor. They can work as a remedy and can assist you and your doctor by monitoring your health issues and sharing the reports.
If we talk about the figures, according to a report in 2014 around 29.7 million people were using the wearable devices for fitness, while the very next year it almost doubled and touched the mark of 58.7 million.
Wearable devices have faced a massive acceptance in the United States and this is why it generates maximum revenue of over one billion dollars from the region.
The role played by wearable devices in making a healthy society?
A study reveals that wearable devices are widely preferred for living a healthy life. The figures are expected to increase for all good reasons. However, to attract millennials it might take little more time but the parents have shown huge interest.
Let us have a look at some of the ways in which wearable devices are making us live a healthy life:
- Creates awareness: Wearable devices don’t get partial and thus they share the truth. Someday you might feel tired after walking for let’s say 15 minutes, but this doesn’t mean that you walked some extra steps. While you might consider it this way, wearable devices will share the exact number of steps you have taken and the calories you burnt.
- Educates: With a wearable device housed around your wrist you can monitor your health at any time while being anywhere. With this, you can understand the loopholes better; subsequently, make better decisions to improve your health. Imagine having a personal nutritionist with you 24 hours a day, guiding you as per your body requirements.
- Competition: Let us accept the fact we humans need a push in order to achieve goals, and I believe competition indeed could be a remarkable way. For this, you can have a wearable device that kicks you towards having positive competition with your near and dear ones. Imagine yourself stepping out of the gym with dual feelings; winning over your competitor and burning some extra calories.
- Check your sleep: ‘The subconscious state’ is what describes sleep in the best way. At such a stage if you have a device that stays awake for you, just to check if you slept well, your heart rate has been smooth, and the movements throughout the duration, this definitely gives a relaxed feeling. Not only these, but wearable devices can also accordingly plan your wake up time and make sure you follow it by reminding you.
- Workout becomes easy: Someday you might be tired, someday active. The same results in fluctuating workouts. While the odd days make you exhausted early, the other days you are a storm. On one hand while being in the former state you work out less and get whacked early, on the other the latter allows you to work more. With a wearable device, you can easily check your workout and eventually maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Assistant for physicians and patients: Some wearable devices are designed to share your health data with your physician. Like this, your physician can’t just have a deep sneak into your health issues but also can diagnose you better. While on one side this allows you to remotely get yourself checked, on the other hand, it saves the time of your doctor without compromising with the health vitality.
Wearable devices aren’t just a new trend that is gaining all the attention due to their design and style, but they have proved their entity by assisting, guiding, and motivating the general people towards the health. Maybe this is why the wearable device market is increasing high above with every passing day.
By Shahid Mansuri